Problems in current *or have you seen this?

Gary Jennejohn garyj at jennejohn.org
Fri Apr 20 11:49:27 UTC 2007

Randall Stewart writes:
> A) I could not log in. Every time I try it tells me some pam module
>     cannot be loaded. Even though I can see the lib/pam.xxx that it
>     is complaining about. So, what do I do to fix it. I go to
>     an older 7.0 machine I had that x was fine on.. and copied in
>     the pam libs overwriting the ones I had just built. Ta-da I
>     can log in. I even just recently rebuilt and re-installed from
>     the latest current ..(buildworld).. and still I had the pam
>     problem (but of course now I keep the old pam libs in my home
>     dir so its a quick copy). As anyone seen this one??

This may not be related to your problem, but I had a very similar situation
when I stupidly did a ``make distribution'' in /usr/src/etc. I ended up with
a mixture of old and new startup scripts in /etc/rc.d which resulted in pam not
allowing me to log in. I booted single-user and deleted the old stuff and since
then everything works hunky-dory.

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyjATjennejohnDOTorg gjATfreebsdDOTorg garyjATdenxDOTde