iwi0: could not load boot firmware iwi_bss

Jeremie Le Hen jeremie at le-hen.org
Thu Apr 12 22:23:33 UTC 2007

Hi, Max,

On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 06:53:40PM +0100, Max Laier wrote:
> Jeremie, can you provide kern.osreldate and a bit more information about
> your setup?  i.e. what's in your loader.conf?  There have been some
> problems with firmware(9) in the past, that should be taken care of by
> now.  Could you try to update to a more recent current?  Using the
> firmware from base shouldn't hurt either.

I've upgraded my kernel this morning, and I still have the same
problem.  Loading iwi_bss first doesn't help.  I'm using the
iwifw module.

% jarjarbinks:~:102# cat /usr/src.jarjar/sys/CVS/Tag
% D2007.04.11.20.00.00

% kern.osreldate: 700037

% jarjarbinks:~:105# cat /boot/loader.conf
% hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range=1
%
% beastie_disable="YES"
% verbose_loading="YES"
%
% if_bge_load="YES"
% legal.intel_iwi.license_ack=1

As soon as I start devd(8) or wpa_supplicant(8), I get:

% iwi0: timeout waiting for iwi_bss firmware initialization to complete
% iwi0: could not load boot firmware iwi_bss

This time I've attached my kernel configuration file :-).

Note that I'm using Suleiman's stackgap and mmap_random patches,
but AFAIU this only affects userland, so I don't think this is
relevant in this case.  But in doubt:
http://people.freebsd.org/~ssouhlal/testing/stackgap-20050527.diff
http://people.freebsd.org/~ssouhlal/testing/mmap_random-20050528.diff

Thank you.