WOL question

Jack Vogel jfvogel at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 22:38:11 UTC 2007

On 4/10/07, Scott Long <scottl at samsco.org> wrote:
> Julian Elischer wrote:
> > Jack Vogel wrote:
> >> I am hoping someone here who has more familiarity with the ACPI
> >> code can enlighten me....
> >>
> >> I have an internal bug filed complaining that FreeBSD disables
> >> wake-on-lan on the hardware. This means that if you boot, say,
> >> Linux, even Knoppix as a quickie, and then shutdown, if the
> >> hardware supports it, it will be left in a state where a magic-packet
> >> wakeup will work. However, even if I boot up a FreeBSD kernel
> >> with NO em driver, and then shutdown, it undoes the WOL setup.
> >>
> >> Now, I would like to have explicit WOL support added into the
> >> em driver, but before I even worry about that I need to understand
> >> where the kernel turns this off without the driver even needed.
> >>
> >> I've looked around at the dev/acpi and arch/acpi code and at
> >> least so far I'm having a hard time getting an adequate picture
> >> to know how it happens.
> >>
> >> Jack
> >
> > I think I heard once that some BIOSes turn it off during the boot cycle
> > somewhere and it is up to the OS to turn it back on. I do know that some
> > BIOSes
> > phuck with the NIC enough to stop IPMI from working during the boot.
> >

> That would make sense; you don't want the card to generate an NMI during
> boot from a spurius WOL package before the system is ready to handle it.

Hmm, so I have two competing views about things, one is that the kernel
is actively doing something to disable WOL on shutdown, and now the
theory that its just not rearming the system.

I really need to know which it is, because I'm putting code in the driver that
I think should rearm it, and it doesnt work, and I've been left wondering if
my code is wrong, or if something deeper in the kernel is clobbering the
things I am trying to set up :)

Jack