Do we need this junk?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Fri Apr 6 21:16:43 UTC 2007

On 2007-04-06 15:06, Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton at gmail.com> wrote:
>On 4/6/07, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
>>> Data source: http://www.bsdstats.org/cpus.php
>>
>> A lot of people are running "bsdstats" ports, and we should appreciate
>> the work people have put into making http://www.bsdstats.org/ happen.
>>
>> I'm not sure I agree with the use you are putting these statistics into,
>> whatever.
>>
>> The original goal of the statistics pages was to serve as a basis of
>> version-related and hardware-related information, which can be used to
>> convince hardware vendors to support *MORE* FreeBSD systems.
>>
>> Now you are arguing that because more modern CPUs and hardware are,
>> well, "more modern", we should start dropping support for some of the
>> systems listed there -- effectivelly reducing the number of systems
>> supported by FreeBSD.
>
> I only suggested dropping PC98. Why? If you look at the PC98 page* it
> hasn't been updated since FreeBSD 4.11 and bsdstats.org shows zero
> people using it... PC98 is a  dead platform like Alpha and Alpha
> support is being dropped for FreeBSD 7, but if you look at
> bsdstats.org the Alpha platform has more users than sparc, powerpc and
> pc98 combined!!

So, what does this tell us?  Are the sparc users less in number because
we have excellent sparc64 support, but there's no interest?  Because we
don't have good sparc64 support?  Or because the existing sparc64 users
don't use the bsdstats ports?

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove by throwing numbers from
bsdstats around.