Do we need this junk?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Apr 6 21:15:10 UTC 2007

In message: <ef10de9a0704060715s6b5957daq2fe8a465362e3446 at mail.gmail.com>
            "Nikolas Britton" <nikolas.britton at gmail.com> writes:
: On 4/5/07, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
: > From: "Nikolas Britton" <nikolas.britton at gmail.com>
: > Subject: Re: Do we need this junk?
: > Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 10:39:41 -0500
: >
: > > On 4/5/07, Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at optushome.com.au> wrote:
: > > > [-stable removed since it's not relevant there]
: > > >
: > > > On 2007-Apr-05 04:58:17 -0500, Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton at gmail.com> wrote:
: > > > >Can anything in the list below be removed from CURRENT?
: > > > >
: > > > >legacyfree1# cd dev/
: > > > >legacyfree1# grep -irsn isa ./ | grep -i include
: > > > ...
: > > > >legacyfree1# grep -irsn mca ./ | grep -i include
: > > > ...
: > > >
: > > > Why do you believe anything in the list might need to be removed?
: > > >
: > >
: > > I'd like to also add that 6-STABLE should be the last branch to support:
: > > 1. ISA / EISA
: >
: > Not going to happen.  Maybe EISA, but certainly not ISA, as machines
: > made today still need it.
: >
: > > 2. PC98 Platform.
: >
: > What do you care?  I mean really, what do you care here.  There are
: > Pentium II class machines that are perfectly good in this class of
: > machines.  I have one and it runs just fine.
: >
: > > 3. i486
: >
: > So you want to kill all the soekris boxes?  Sorry, not going to
: > happen.
: >
: > > 4. i586
: >
: > These machines still work, and are still popular in the embedded space
: > due to their lower power consumption.
: >
: > Warner
: >
:
: Well based on the stats I've posted maybe it's time to split FreeBSD
: i386 into two platforms, one for embedded/legacy systems and one for
: modern systems? The needs for each type of system are diametrically
: opposed, and the modern ones make up the majority of deployed systems.
: Perhaps FreeBSD i786 or IA32, with the minimum target being a
: Willamette based Pentium 4, aka SSE2?

There's no need.  Thank you for your input.  It has been noted and
given all the weight it deserves.  Have a nice day.

Warner