Do we need this junk?

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 20:06:22 UTC 2007

On 4/6/07, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> On 2007-04-06 08:40, Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't appreciate being called a lier. Maybe you should step up to
> > the plate if you don't believe my statistics.
> >
> > AMD Semptron 1,259
> > AMD Athlon_64 2,796
> > AMD Athlon_XP 2,885
> > AMD Athlon 812
> > AMD Duron 741
> > AMD Opteron 625
> > AMD Turion_64 175
> >
> > Intel Pentium_4 8,768
> > Intel Pentium_4M 291
> > Intel Pentium_M 1,722
> > Intel Pentium_3M 233
> > Intel Pentium_3 6,362
> > Intel Pentium_D 982
> > Intel Pentium_2 1,872
> > Intel Celeron_P2 888
> > Intel Celeron_P3 529
> > Intel Celeron_P4 4,224
> > Intel Celeron_M 299
> > Intel Xeon_P4 2,380
> > Intel Core 1,246
> >
> > Generic i786 1
> > Generic i686_SSE 33
> > Generic i686_MMX 114
> > Generic i686 298
> > Generic i586_MMX 520
> > Generic i586 261
> > Generic i486 30
> > Unknown 99
> >
> > Data source: http://www.bsdstats.org/cpus.php
>
> A lot of people are running "bsdstats" ports, and we should appreciate
> the work people have put into making http://www.bsdstats.org/ happen.
>
> I'm not sure I agree with the use you are putting these statistics into,
> whatever.
>
> The original goal of the statistics pages was to serve as a basis of
> version-related and hardware-related information, which can be used to
> convince hardware vendors to support *MORE* FreeBSD systems.
>
> Now you are arguing that because more modern CPUs and hardware are,
> well, "more modern", we should start dropping support for some of the
> systems listed there -- effectivelly reducing the number of systems
> supported by FreeBSD.

I only suggested dropping PC98. Why? If you look at the PC98 page* it
hasn't been updated since FreeBSD 4.11 and bsdstats.org shows zero
people using it... PC98 is a  dead platform like Alpha and Alpha
support is being dropped for FreeBSD 7, but if you look at
bsdstats.org the Alpha platform has more users than sparc, powerpc and
pc98 combined!!