Do we need this junk?

Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez rnsanchez at wait4.org
Thu Apr 5 19:27:05 UTC 2007

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 08:17:34 -0500
"Nikolas Britton" <nikolas.britton at gmail.com> wrote:

> # grep aha /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC
> device          aha             # Adaptec 154x SCSI adapters
>

> Are you fucking kidding me???!!!!!

Comment it out and recompile.  Or don't kldload it.

I don't get your point.  What are the benefits of mass-dropping support for
old hardware (considering that some drivers _are_ being removed, due to lack
of maintainers, interest, users, ...)?

Don't forget that today's cheap appliances are very low end, and there is
already people porting FreeBSD to some of them.  Others just can't buy
expensive hardware (yeah, i686 processors are cheap today, but you need more
than just a processor to make it useful).

No offense, but this kind of "I don't like it--delete it!" argument does not
make any sense.

--
Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez     <rnsanchez@{gmail.com,wait4.org}>