portupgrade not working for all ports

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Tue Oct 24 02:27:03 UTC 2006

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 08:15:39 +0200, Andreas Klemm <andreas at freebsd.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I installed the latest amd64 -current snap from server (oct 2006).
> I installed only a "handfull" of ports to get xfce4 running.
>
> Then later I installed portupgrade and did a portupgrade -a.
>
> Some ports got upgraded, and then it hung at the configure
> stage of some ports.
>
> Funny thing is, building such a port manually by
> cd /usr/ports/xxx/yyy; make all install clean
> works. No problem with configure.
>
> Only portupgrade wasn't able to upgrade these ports.
>
> Is this a known -current problem or do I have to investigate more
> into this ? Or is it a special "portupgrade" problem in conjunction
> with only autoconf based ports ?
>
> If you need more data then tell, unluckily it got late yesterday
> evening, so I would provide "real info" later if you need.
>
> 	Andreas ///

Not sure what's causing this, but I'm seeing the "script" child
processes spawned by portupgrade consuming an inordinate amount of CPU,
as much as 80+%.  This does make the configure stage appear to hang
interminably much of the time.

This is under 7.0-CURRENT/amd64 with both portupgrade and
portupgrade-devel.  It's gotten so bad, in fact, that I find myself
more and more resorting to manually upgrading ports, which works fine
and does not hog CPU at all.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads at cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"