ASUS U5F hangs during pci bus probe

Yuriy Tsibizov Yuriy.Tsibizov at gfk.ru
Thu Oct 19 01:06:53 PDT 2006

> system...  Add a:

> > > to the new
> > > it, I'll send
> > >
> > > Yes, it keeps running in "for (; !end;)" loop forever. I'll
> > > have access
> > > to this notebook till friday evening.
> >
> > Just checked it today morning - it cannot start Ethernet
> adapter after
> > last reboot...
> > It lists it in POST message, but
> > 1) don't start PXE firmware
> > 2) can't see it with pre-installed Windows (It show unknown
> Ethernet,
> > with vendor 10ec dev 8129 subsys 812911ec revision 01).
> It's PCI express
> > network card, according to POST message.
> > 3) link is active
> >
> > I have two more noteboks (same model),  but don't want to kill their
> > Ethernet adapters.
>
> So, are you saying that after using the fixed patch, booting into
> FreeBSD (getting to login), that the Windows no longer attached to the
> on board ethernet adapter?  Considering that this patch doesn't even
> touch the read-write data, I can't imagine it breaking
> something, unless
> the driver and other code can't handle the VPD registers
> being touched...
> But if that's the case, then the Windows driver needs to be
> fixed since
> there are no guaranties what the VPD registers will be...
and PXE boot ROM too?

I booted NetBSD from CD and it attaches to this interfaces as rtk0.

It can't see media:
media: Ethernet none (auto)
(but switch shows that link is UP)

and I'm getting watchdog timeouts.

Slax (Linux LiveCD) also attaches to this card and tells me that
- it is an unknow chip version
- no MII transiever found...

I'm downloading
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/200610/7.0-CURRENT-200610-i3
86-disc1.iso
now to test it under FreeBSD.

Yuriy.