FreeBSD CURRENT on HP nx7400

Tom Evans TEvans at mintel.com
Fri Nov 17 04:06:01 PST 2006

Hi Marek

I'm running -current on a HP 6320 with very few problems. It seems a
very similar spec to the 7400 (Core (2) Duo, i945GM chipset, Intel
3945ABG wifi).
I also had problems running -stable with the SATA drives in native mode,
which is why I'm running -current. The drive works fine in 'compatible'
mode in the BIOS in -stable.
The only things currently not working 100% for me are:
        DVD insists on running PIO4 mode
        No DRI in X
        No drivers for 3945ABG
        Fingerprint reader doesnt work
        Bluetooth probably doesnt work (I have no bluetooth devices, so
never tried)

Of these things, the only one I care enough to mess around with is the
fingerprint reader (sounds fun :) I'm sure many of them are fixable.

Of course, HP dont ship a video bios that actually supports the native
resolution of the panel included, but sysutils/915resolution can fix
that.

Audio works fine following ariff@'s excellent work on snd_hda.

I've not tried -stable for a few months, so it is more than possible
that these fixes have been MFC'ed already - I think snd_hda has for
sure.

If you'd like my dmesg.boot / kernel configs, give us a shout.

Cheers

Tom
|+---------------------------+-----------------------------------------|
||   Marek Denis             |                                         |
||   <M.Denis at stud.elka.pw.ed|           To:                           |
||   u.pl>                   |   freebsd-current at freebsd.org           |
||   Sent by:                |           cc:                           |
||   owner-freebsd-current at fr|           Subject:        FreeBSD       |
||   eebsd.org               |   CURRENT on HP nx7400                  |
||                           |                                         |
||   11/16/2006 09:07 PM     |                                         |

Hi,
  About 2 months ago I was surfing the Internet, trying to find any tips
how to install FreeBSD on my nx7400 laptop. The main problem was that
FreeBSD didn't recognise sata drivers. In October, a new release of
FreeBSD 7-cure has been released, and I would like to ask you, whether
anybody has any version of fbsd on any nx7400 or similar hardware?

Thanks in advance

Marek Denis