UFS2 Snapshots in 6.1-Beta4 - Confirmed Problems

John Kozubik john at kozubik.com
Tue Mar 21 19:40:52 UTC 2006

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > This next one is complicated, and I haven't submitted a PR for it yet, but
> > I believe it is quite serious for reasons I will expand on below.
> >
> > The problem is:  If you completely fill a filesystem (109% usage in `df`
> > on most systems) that has a snapshot on it, the system becomes very
> > unresponsive - all interactive and disk response lags terribly and,
> > although the system is not hung, it is in many cases unusable.
>
> Yes :-( This will probably not be fixable in time for 6.1, but
> hopefully it will be addressed in the future.  FYI, the system may
> also panic in this situation.

Because my original description of this behavior was so vague, I was going
to try to reproduce it again with more details, however it sounds like you
have already witnessed this and know more about it than I do.

Is that true ?  Can I skip a few hours of trying to reproduce this ?

-----
John Kozubik - john at kozubik.com - http://www.kozubik.com