[patch] NetBSD disklabel support for geom_bsd

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Fri Mar 17 22:38:43 UTC 2006

Julian Elischer <julian at elischer.org> writes:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> >"Daniel Eriksson" <daniel_k_eriksson at telia.com> writes:
> > > I've been putting filesystems directly on devices for some time
> > > now. Are there any drawbacks to doing this?
> > Not unless you want to boot from them.
> given that "dangerously dedicated" mode had a dummy bootblock that
> referenced itself and loaded the next stage boot, that used to
> work.. I presume it still does..?

Depends on your BIOS.  My experience is that they are getting
increasingly picky about the contents of the master boot record.  For
instance, it is now common to have a BIOS that can have the CD-ROM
*after* the hard drive in the boot sequence and still boot from the
CD-ROM if it decides that the partition table is invalid (e.g. if no
partition is marked active).

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no