defaults/rc.conf v1.272

Dmitry Pryanishnikov dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua
Mon Mar 13 08:10:47 UTC 2006

Hello!

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> After I set the cx_lowest back to HIGH, the machine booted perfectly
> fine (less than a minute from kernel load to login prompt)..  Could
> this be a problem of not starting powerd or something that makes sure
> we don't go into a low power state when running?  Power savings are
> good, but making FreeBSD not bootable isn't...  I waited over five

  Well, I reported a similar unacceptable performance in non-C1 state a week
ago in freebsd-acpi. I'm not alone, I've seen such reports before. But it
seems there is no solutions to this problem (or nobody cares ;). My ASUS
M5A notebook remains usable in C2 state, but performance is still boring,
and timer-based delays are merely broken:

  My hardware claims only C1 and C2, if notebook was started with AC power:

hw.acpi.cpu.cx_supported: C1/1 C2/1

and C1-C3 if it was started on batteries:

hw.acpi.cpu.cx_supported: C1/1 C2/1 C3/1

(BTW, is it normal?)

If I switch to C2, it not only slows machine down, but also breaks timer-based
delays:

root at notebook# date;sleep 5;date
Sat Mar  4 03:21:44 EET 2006
Sat Mar  4 03:21:49 EET 2006
root at notebook# sysctl hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest=C2
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C1 -> C2
root at notebook# date;sleep 5;date
Sat Mar  4 03:22:46 EET 2006
Sat Mar  4 03:23:18 EET 2006

(redraw delay in 'top -s 1' raises to 6-7 seconds). C3 (when it's available)
looks the same as C2.

  Of course I run my notebook forced to C1. I would be glad to provide any
additional info in order to help developers to fix the issue. I'm a novice
in ACPI-related stuff so I don't dig into it myself.

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator
e-mail:  dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua