Problems iwi load

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Sun Mar 12 17:43:59 UTC 2006

Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
> Martin Wilke wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 15:33:15 +0200
>> Panagiotis Astithas <past at ebs.gr> wrote:
>>

>> Thx and done,
>>
>> the new problem after load "if_iwi" is "firmeware_get: faild to load
>> image iwi-bss". i have firmware form the ports "without iwicontrol"
>> installed.
>

> Are you sure it is iwi-bss and not iwi_bss? The firmware support is
> looking for /boot/kernel/iwi_bss.ko IIUC, so if you don't have it, you
> should "cd /sys/modules/iwi_fw; make install". The port should not be
> necessary any more.

So far as I can tell the firmware images have not been committed to cvs
(nor should they be due to the license) so you still need the port.  It
is interesting however that I see a sys/modules/iwifw directory in the
cvsweb listing; looks like someone got happy fingers.

As to the problems people are seeing this is likely because the recent
commit to HEAD for iwi brought in firmware loading using the firmware
support code but also requires version 3.0 firmware images.  I just
checked the iwi-firmware port and it's still fetching version 2.4
firmware so users have to go to the web site to fetch the firmware and
update the port themselves or otherwise roll their own firmware images
to use the code in cvs.

	Sam