kern/93942: panic: ufs_dirbad: bad dir

Joerg Pernfuss elessar at bsdforen.de
Tue Mar 7 09:51:55 GMT 2006

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 23:39:45 -0500
Yarema <yds at CoolRat.org> wrote:

> --On March 3, 2006 3:51:45 AM +0000 Robert Watson
> <rwatson at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Yarema wrote:
> >
> >> options	UFS_EXTATTR
> >> options	UFS_EXTATTR_AUTOSTART
> >
> > If you disable just UFS_EXTATTR_AUTOSTART, does the panic go away?
> > The autostart routine relies on reading directory data (or at least,
> > performing lookups) during the mount process.  While it shouldn't be
> > running on UFS2, it could be that it is, and if something has
> > changed in the mount process so that reading directories that early
> > is no longer functional, it could be that this causes an incorrect
> > reporting of on-disk corruption (i.e., it could be a data structure
> > initialization problem or the like).
> >
> > Robert N M Watson
>
> Damn, I just reformatted the corrupt partition so I can no longer try
> this.

But I do, I kept my bad partition all the times, (it was just
/usr/ports/distfiles - lucky me).

With normal, stock RELENG_6 sources from yesterday:

Kernel with UFS_EXTATTR and UFS_EXTATTR_AUTOSTART -> panic on mount
Kernel with UFS_EXTATTR without UFS_EXTATTR_AUTOSTART -> works

I recently upgraded my RAM, so I had too little swap to dump, but if
a dump needs to be generated, I'll remove a few of them and we'll
have one.

	Joerg

--
| /"\   ASCII ribbon   |  GnuPG Key ID | e86d b753 3deb e749 6c3a |
| \ / campaign against |    0xbbcaad24 | 5706 1f7d 6cfd bbca ad24 |