the errors when updating FreeBSD from 6.0-RELEASE to 7.0-CURRENT

Bill Xu list at billxu.com
Tue Jun 27 00:32:24 UTC 2006

Dear all,

I installed FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE, and then upgraded to 7.0-CURRENT. After
 # make buildworld and # make buildkernel, I run # make installkernel,
during this stage, it'll use kldxref to generate hints for the kernel
loader, but at that time the kldxref in FreeBSD 6.0 can't do this, it
must use the kldxref from -CURRENT, so I have to install the new version
kldxref manually. This is a contradiction. :(. But after I install
kldxref, it didn't work still, because kldxref will use libc.so.7......

and then, I have to rum "# make installworld" before "# make
installkernel". that's too bad.

Bill Xu