Unicode (was Re: Updating ncurses in base)

Mon Jun 26 09:58:58 UTC 2006

Quoting "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd at over-yonder.net> (from Sun, 25
Jun 2006 20:49:39 -0500):

[xterm and UTF-8]
> I set the fonts, turn off the 'locale' and on the 'utf8' resources
> (these steps being necessary to get it to work right).  And then, it
> seems to work as long as I DON'T set the locale in the shell invoking
> it.  Compare what I see from your linked utf8demo.txt from `xterm`[0]
> versus `env LANG=en_US.UTF-8 xterm`[1].

At the time I switched to UTF-8 I was using xterm too. It dodn't
worked as expected. I noticed that there's "uxterm" (installed with
xterm). I tried it and I think it was a little bit better than plain
xterm itself. But maybe it just defaults to what you did by hand above.

I was not satisified and switched to the gnome terminal. It works
without problems for me (but I didn't tried the example you tried).

need/want UTF-8, and they don't bother to fight with xterm because
they just want something which works. So don't be surprised if this is
a bug in xterm.

Bye,
Alexander.

--