~/.hosts patch

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Jun 22 13:22:55 UTC 2006

Justin Hibbits <jrh29 at eecs.cwru.edu> wrote:
 > Hey folks, got an interesting patch.  This adds a ~/.hosts file
 > (personal version of /etc/hosts).

I'm not sure what the secuiruty implications are, but it's
probably a good idea to provide an administrative way to
switch that feature on and off (e.g. with a sysctl or a
non-overridable login.conf entry), so the paranoid people
can calm down again.  ;-)

While we're at it, shouldn't there also be support for a
per-user ~/.services file?  It could have been useful to
me on a few occasions.

Best regards
   Oliver

I suggested holding a "Python Object Oriented Programming Seminar",
but the acronym was unpopular.
        -- Joseph Strout