Often experiencing nfs server foo:/bar: not responding

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Wed Jun 21 00:39:09 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 05:23:38PM -0700, Chuck Lever wrote:
> On 6/20/06, Steve Kargl <sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
> >
> >I've seen the problem described by David on RELENG_6.
> >
> >You can see the network topology at
> >http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~kargl/hpc.html
> >The NFS server is on node10 (bge1) and /home is exported to node11
> >through node15.  If I mount node10:/usr/src on node15 a "make installworld"
> >will result in a never ending stream of "server not responding messages".
>
> Has anyone who has seen this issue tried using the dumb timer mount option?

I did not try that option in that the description suggested to
me that -d is applicable to slow networks.  Before I tried
-d, I decided to see what happens.

Interesting.

node11:kargl[214] rsync -av kargl at node10:prj /tmp
sent 11970 bytes  received 34071110 bytes  22722053.33 bytes/sec
total size is 34032098  speedup is 1.00
node11:kargl[215] rm -rf /tmp/prj
node11:kargl[216] time cp -R ~/prj /tmp
nfs server master:/home: not responding
nfs server master:/home: not responding
nfs server master:/home: not responding

/tmp is a memory filesystem and /home/kargl is NFS exported.

--
Steve