cbb hangs during suspend if ath card active

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Jul 13 04:32:44 UTC 2006

In message: <44B59A22.7000407 at root.org>
            Nate Lawson <nate at root.org> writes:
: I've seen a recent regression in the past few months when suspending my
: laptop.  When I have an ath0 card inserted in a cardbus slot and then
: press the sleep button, the system hangs.  If I eject the card, it
: continues going into suspend and everything works as normal.
:
: If the card is up (ifconfig up), this process hangs.  If it's down, no
: hang and it suspends normally.  I did some debugging by starting the
: suspend, waiting for the hang, hitting "break to ddb", and then ejecting
: the card.  The eject causes an interrupt which causes ddb to be entered.
:   With ps, I can see that the thread on the acpi_taskq is running the
: button event and then calling bus_generic_suspend(), which eventually
: calls cbb_detach(), which then calls a power routine in pccbb.c.  This
: routine calls tsleep() (wchan "cbbP3") which never wakes up.
:
: Any idea why tsleep() is not waking up now?  It seems tsleep() calls
: mi_switch() and never returns.

Maybe the timers have been stopped and not properly restored by this
time?  Maybe we're calling the resume routines from a bad place that
we can't sleep...  APM had this problem...

I'd love to test things like this, but I've not had a laptop in the
past 5 years that can successfully suspend/resume under freebsd, even
with minimal drivers :-(

Warner