for review: sys/dev/md/md.c patch

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Jan 30 23:17:17 PST 2006

In message: <200601301212.k0UCCnu6054149 at lurza.secnetix.de>
            Oliver Fromme <olli at lurza.secnetix.de> writes:
: Luigi Rizzo <rizzo at icir.org> wrote:
:  > just discovered, trying to resurrect picobsd on -current,
:  > that the compiler in 6.x/7.x has become smart and, at least
:  > with the default compilation flags, will optimize out
:  > the "end_mfs_root" string from the object.
:
: Shouldn't it be sufficient to declare the string as volatile?
: That should prevent it from being optimized by the compiler.

I know that for the arm board I'm working on, MFS works great.  The
proposed patch looks interesting, but I'm not sure why it is
necessary.  I think removing the 'static' would be sufficient...

Warner