if_flags usage etc.

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Jan 27 08:58:42 PST 2006

In message: <20060127005500.A38764 at xorpc.icir.org>
            Luigi Rizzo <rizzo at icir.org> writes:
: On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 12:39:27AM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: ...
: > Actually, the ifmedia approach has a cleaner way of dealing.  mii uses
: > ifmedia.  ifmedia reports all the possible media types to ifconfig,
: > and then reports its status.  mii has a nearly identical way of
: > doing this for devices with mii busses, or pseudo mii busses.
: >
: > ed should likely be fully converted to using ifmedia, but I'm not sure
: > I want to risk breaking ISA cards that I don't have access to to make
: > it so.  I just don't have the time...
:
: to tell the truth, -current is so heavyweight for obsolete
: hardware that i wonder what is the point of trying to support
: old hardware that nobody has anymore, or on which nobody
: would upgrade the OS from 4.x to 7.x
:
: Not that i have plans to revise the 'ed' driver' but if
: someone has such plans, this shouldn't be a concern
: that stops us.

You would not believe the number of people that complain loudly when
it does break.  Most other cards I wouldn't worry about at all, but
there are still a lot of machines with these old klunky cards... :-(
I know that it surprised me...

I've also checked if_ed, and it only sets ALTPHYS before it attaches
the ifnet.  I've also modified it a bit to use LINK2 to match the
documentation...

Warner