HEADS UP: pts code committed

Thu Jan 26 00:40:50 PST 2006

Robert Watson <rwatson at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Olivier Houchard wrote:
>
>> Robert Watson and myself have been working on a pts implementation,
>> ala SysV/linux, for quite some time, and it finally went into the
>> source tree. It does not replace the BSD-style pty however, and one
>> can switch from one implementation to another by changing the
>> kern.pts.enable sysctl. It defaults to the BSD-style ptys. It is not
>> supposed to break anything, old program which only know about the
>> BSD ptys should still work fine. however if it does, or if any other
>> pts-related bug hurts you, please report it to me.
>
> Just as an FYI for why this is useful.  With this implementation, we get:

- Allows more linux programs to work. AFAIR I was told the Mathematica
developers specially added code to not bail out if no pts device was
available (but I mey remember a detail wrongly...).

> - Can run side-by-side with the old pty driver so that applications expecting
>   hunt-and-peck lookup of a new pty, old pty names, and old pty security
>   properties can still get it.  This means old binaries, even statically
>   linked, can continue to run.

"Can" as in "you have to enable it", or as in "does already by default"?

> - Sysctl to indicate to recent libc what type of pty to use -- presumably the
>   default will change after lots of exposure, testing, and review.

So the sysctl is only for libc and we're encouraged to test the use of the
"pts by default" mode?

Bye,
Alexander.

There's only one way to have a happy marriage and as soon as I learn
what it is I'll get married again.
		-- Clint Eastwood