slow bfe0, dropouts - help?

Peter Jeremy PeterJeremy at optushome.com.au
Fri Jan 20 11:59:37 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-Jan-20 09:36:33 -0800, Ted Faber wrote:
>I'm running a Dell Inspiron 6000 with at Broadcom BCM4401-B0 Fast
>Ethernet on it, and the "Fast" really isn't there.  I'm frequently getting
>KB/s performance out of it on a 100 Mb/s link when trying to download,

This looks like a duplex mismatch - one end of the link is running
full-duplex and the other end is running half-duplex, probably because
one end is forced to full-duplex and the other end is auto-negotiate.
Compare 'ifconfig bfe0' on the FreeBSD box with the status reported by
the switch.  See the 'media' and 'mediaopt' options of ifconfig(8)
and the supported options in bfe(4).

--
Peter Jeremy