DragonFly Variant Symlinks port

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Sat Jan 14 14:39:20 PST 2006

On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 04:00:50AM +0300, bu7cher wrote:
> Hi, All!
>
> I have make the port of DragonFly BSD Variant Symlinks. (http://www.freebsd.org/projects/ideas/#p-magicsymlinks)
> Pathes for CURRENT can be founded on http://butcher.heavennet.ru/patches/kernel/varsym/. This is first version and i think that work in not complete.
> Port is not fully identical with dfbsd implementation. Syscall interface has been changed (removed messages-related things and some parameters changed to pointers).
> ToDo:
> 1. src/sys/i386/i386/machdep.c - this initialization needed for each platforms?
> 2. I think that here needed some locking implementation.
> 3. Document new syscalls.
>
> Any comments?

Thanks for working on this.  I was thinking I could really use this
feature just this week (In my case I want my batch queueing systme to be
able to point /tmp at a directory I can delete when the job finishes so
users can't break subsiquent jobs by filling /tmp.).  I'll definitly be
keeping an eye on this work and plan to do some testing this week.  I'd
like to see this in 7.0, maybe even 6.2.

-- Brooks