FreeBSD on Intel Macs?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Jan 11 22:50:53 PST 2006

In message: <3e1162e60601111405x59e7e70dyf57c74b01e888e8a at mail.gmail.com>
            David Leimbach <leimy2k at gmail.com> writes:
: On 1/11/06, Julian Elischer <julian at elischer.org> wrote:
: >
: > alan bryan wrote:
: >
: > >I read that the new Intel (x86) Macs use EFI rather
: > >than the traditional PC Bios to boot up.  I'm
: > >interested in using one of these to multiboot OS X and
: > >FreeBSD and am wondering if it is yet known to work or
: > >not.  Do any changes need to be made to FreeBSD or
: > >should it work out of the box? Thanks for any insight
: > >and I know that it may be impossible to fully answer
: > >until people get their hands on the hardware but I
: > >just wanted to start thinking about the possibilities.
: > >
: > >
: > well if they can boot Darwin I'm sure they can be hacked to boot FreeBSD.
: > It would probabty require a different bootloader binary.
:
:
:
: I don't see what booting Darwin has to do with booting FreeBSD.
:
: However, since FreeBSD boots on IA64 using the FreeBSD bootloader for IA64,
: I *hope* it won't be much work to port whatever changes that requires to
: IA32.

Assuming any DRM or copy protection that apple puts in place allows US
to put a boot loader there in the first place.

Warner