usb mouse support update plans

Bill Paul wpaul at FreeBSD.ORG
Wed Jan 4 14:04:17 PST 2006

> Hello,
>
> > I think you can do this with usbhidaction(1).
> I would do it but I have not succeeded to make UHID device to work at all.
>
> > Once again, we need to know what usbdevs -v and usbhidctl have to say
> > before we can speculate further.
> I hope this list allows attachments. I think it is quite interesting
> to look at my results. I have tested system with ums in kernel and
> without it. If first case I have ums0 and uhid0 in second two uhid
> devices. The second uhid device (or the first when ums is in kernel)
> is not working for me. usbhidctl prints no valuable information. I
> have installed usbutil to my system as well. It printed some valuable
> information. uhid1 is both Keyboard (for page up and page down
> buttons) and Consumer device (for volume control buttons).
>
> I have checked /usr/share/misc/usb_hid_usages and found that following
> three lines corresponds to Volume Up, Volume Down and Mute:
> Usage(234)
> Usage(233)
> Usage(226)
>
> Best regards,
> Dalius

Looking at the output you sent me from usbctl, it appears there is
in fact one device with two interfaces. Interface 0 is the mouse and
interface 1 is the keyboard. It looks like the uhid0 device is supposed
to be the instance related to the keyboard (interface 1) but it's
not seeing the HID descriptors. I'm not sure why this is. Possibly
the code that's setting up the uhid device instance isn't setting the
iface number correctly. If the interface setting was correct, you
should have gotten more information from usbhidctl on uhid1.

Unfortunatelt, I can't really debug this without physical access to
the device, and even then I'm not sure I can help since I'm not all that
familiar with the guts of the USB code. (You can try building with
USB_DEBUG and turning on some of the verbose logging to see where it
might be going wrong.)

-Bill