cbb hangs during suspend if ath card active

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Sun Dec 17 18:41:48 PST 2006

Nate Lawson wrote:
> Stepan Zastupov wrote:

>>> Just comment out this line in ath_stop() in if_ath.c:
>>>     // ath_hal_setpower(sc->sc_ah, HAL_PM_FULL_SLEEP);
>
>> It is already commented out in current and doesn't help. Card wont work
>> even if it inserted after suspend and resume.
>>

> That's something different then.  I was talking about the suspend
> process hanging if the card is inserted and active.  But ejecting it
> would allow the process to continue and after resume, re-inserting it
> worked fine.

What Nate is referring to is that on many ath parts if you "power down"
the MAC then any pci references to registers outside the PCI clock
domain will hang the bus.  Not putting the chip in "full sleep" is a
hack as it means it'll continue to draw full power after the interface
is marked down.  Something is causing the driver to be entered and
registers accessed when not intended/expected.  I haven't been able to
make this happen on any of my laptops (most have ACPI problems s.t.
suspend/resume doesn't work right) so haven't had a test case to
debug--and noone with the problem has been able to provide the needed info.

	Sam