Am I an Idiot?

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sun Dec 17 13:21:51 PST 2006

Astrodog wrote:
> Something that, in my opinion, may have been missed in all of this,

It hasn't been missed. It's been said over and over again.

> Why, exactly, do you want to run -CURRENT in production?

If you had actually read this thread, you'd know the answer to that.

> Running -CURRENT is quite a bit more work than running -STABLE.

The OP has stated repeatedly that he knows this, and is willing to do
the work as long as time is available.

> Many of the
> problems that may exist in -CURRENT will be induced by specific
> types of load. Race conditions, Lock Order Reversal, and certain
> driver issues in many cases, only appear under particularly heavy
> loads, or particular types of load. What this means, simply, is
> that when you test the next version of -CURRENT you'd like to run,
> there's quite a bit of testing you'll have to do.

And this exact testing is what we need from the user base if we're
going to make this thing work. It's ok if _you_ don't want to do it
(really, it is), but please stop trying to discourage someone who has
said repeatedly that he knows what he is signing up for.

> Along side this
> type of problem, is the issue of security. If you are running
> -CURRENT as of 2 weeks ago, and a security vulnerability is
> discovered, in some cases, you will be compelled to upgrade to the
> latest -CURRENT, even if it has known stability problems, or
> performance/functionality regression.

Um, that's just bollocks. If the only way you know how to update a
system is buildworld, you really should not be giving someone advice
on system administration.

Enough is enough already. This thread pole-vaulted past its useful
lifetime ages ago, let's let it die.

Doug