HEADS-UP: starting to commit linuxolator (SoC 2006) changes...

Thu Aug 17 10:25:34 UTC 2006

Quoting Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at optushome.com.au> (from Thu, 17 Aug
2006 18:05:33 +1000):

> On Wed, 2006-Aug-16 13:25:39 +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> Quoting Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at optushome.com.au> (from Wed, 16 Aug
>> 2006 19:06:53 +1000):

>> It's mentioned in /usr/ports/UPDATING (as in: make sure you don't
>> change the default osrelease).
>
> I found it by grepping for osrelease.  The comment is buried in
> the FC4 update and not immediately obvious.  I was thinking of
> it being documented in (eg) linux(4).

Yes, it is mentioned for those which did change it back in the days
where it didn't changed anything in glibc and updated to fc4. lang/icc
was a bit picky about the compat.linux.* sysctls a little bit longer.

Anyone with enough mdoc-fu listening for the linux(4) change?

>> The intend is to change the default value to 2.6.x when the code is
>> stable enough.
>
> What is the plan for the 2.4.x code?  Will it be maintained (in which
> case, this should be documented), left to rot or explicitly deleted?

The 2.6 code is an extension to the 2.4 code. The 2.6 one is needed
for newer FC releases. So the current sysctl stuff is just a disabling
of some code in some syscalls. The goal is get stable 2.6 extensions
and to forget about the 2.4 downgrade (removing the part which
disables some stuff currently, the rest is needed).

So no need to document the effects of some specific values for
osrelease, it's enough to say that only the default is supported, a
non default value may cause unwanted behavior and bugreports should be
submitted with default values.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not
bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.