Looks like threading is b0rken on FreeBSD/powerpc

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Thu Aug 3 18:32:40 UTC 2006

> No, I've no idea.  Nothing's changed that I know of.  I'm surprised
> that it (powerpc libpthread) works!  I know some supporting MD bits
> were added to libpthread but never knew that they actually worked :)

  It only works in system scope. In theory it could work in process
scope, though there's no simple way to determine if floating point regs
have been used by another thread so you have to unconditionally
context-switch fp state.

  I did a limited amount of testing, mostly with apps and the Sun
'ping-pong' thread test. I think Suleiman also ran up a bunch of larger
apps with it (e.g. apache-threads).

  But that was in the 6.0 timeframe, and I've not seriously run up PPC
for a few months now, certainly not since jemalloc went in.

> Has the compiler changed recently?

  Nope, still at 3.4.4.

later,

Peter.