[resolved] Re: xdm & syscons failing to get along ... sometimes?

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Fri Apr 14 14:21:25 UTC 2006

OK; following useful suggestions from each of Alexander Leidinger and
Dag-Erling Smørgrav, I have modified the "ttyv8" line in /etc/ttys to
invoke my script; I also removed the extraneous "sleep"s (both from the
script and from separate "delay" scripts), and added the "-nodeamon"
command-line parameter for the xdm invocation in my script.

Given that the symptoms were intermittent, it's difficult to state that
the problem is resolved with much certainty, but:  I booted today's 6.x
(after building it this morning), and I booted yesterday's CURRENT (in
preparation fo an upgrade-in place that I'm doing as I'm typing this),
and I saw no hint of a problem at all.

And since I removed 10 - 20 seconds of (unnecessary, now) delay, that
seems to indicate that this resolves the problem quite nicely:  my
thanks to both of you!

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Mail filters, like sewers, need to be most restrictive at the point of entry.