mysql performance test results under FreeBSD-7.0-CURRENT

Michael Vince mv at roq.com
Tue Apr 4 07:41:44 UTC 2006

Ganbold wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I did make some mysql performance tests under FreeBSD-7.0-CURRENT with
> various
> scheduler and compile time options.
> It seems like mysql(BUILD_OPTIMIZED=yes, BUILD_STATIC=yes,
> WITH_PROC_SCOPE_PTH=yes)-libpthread-tsc-sched_4bsd+preemption gives
> better performance.
>
> The test results are at:
>
> http://www.mnbsd.org/ftp/mysql_test_results.txt
>
> There are several things I didn't test and this leads to some questions:
>
> 1. I didn't make test with Poul-Henning's CPU accounting patch.
> Somehow I can't apply it
> (http://phk.freebsd.dk/patch/cpu_acct_2.patch) cleanly. Where can I
> find latest patch?
> When this patch will be included in CURRENT?
>
> 2. I didn't make test with Robert Watson's patch
> (http://www.watson.org/~robert/freebsd/clock/)? Does CURRENT src tree
> include it? If not when this patch will be included in CURRENT?
>
> 3. I did make tests with default malloc in CURRENT. I'm confused what
> malloc options should try (jemalloc? phkmalloc?) What is the default
> malloc in CURRENT? How to use these different mallocs?
>
> thanks in advance,
> Ganbold

Nice work!

I think it would be equally interesting if you posted benchmarks for
MySQL 4.1.x
Since the last post comparing MySQL 5.x vs 4.1.x on FreeBSD showed that
MySQL 4.1 series had almost double the benchmark performance numbers
over 5.x MySQL
I couldn't bare the idea of using MySQL 5 if its still only half as fast
and has features I don't need.
I believe most people would prefer 4.1 unless they really need the
features that are in 5.x or don't need performance at all.

Mike