ata0 going crazy after upgrading to 6.0B5

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Sep 30 16:09:35 PDT 2005

In message: <200509301415.30321.jhb at FreeBSD.org>
            John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> writes:
: On Friday 30 September 2005 02:00 pm, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
: > Mike Tancsa:
: > > I have a few older Intel 845 MBs like that. The IDE controller is not
: > > really disabled and if it shares and IRQ with something live/being
: > > used, things go crazy with a storm. The easiest thing to do is enable
: > > the controller in the BIOS
: >
: > Enabling the IDE controller in the BIOS did not help at all. What did help
: > is removing ata/atadisk/atapicd from the kernel.
: >
: > John Baldwin:
: > > Do you have any other devices in the system on IRQ14 (such as amr0
: > > perhaps)?
: >
: > No... After removing ata from the kernel completely, things are nice and
: > quiet and IRQ14 is not listed by neither dmesg.boot nor by `systat -vm'.
: >
: > I'd just accept it as the fact of life, but the problem did not exist in
:
: What if you turn off the pci power tunable?

B5 has tue power tunable off by default...

Warner