wpa_supplicant and WEP....

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Fri Sep 30 14:28:34 PDT 2005

Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 03:36:31PM -0500, Eric Schuele wrote:
>
>>James Snow wrote:

>>>I would try dropping this line. I use wpa_supplicant to connect to a
>>>number of different wireless networks and for the WEP-only ones I've
>>>never needed anything more than:
>>>
>>>ssid=...
>>>key_mgmt=NONE
>>>wep_key0=...
>>>

>>Still no go.  The wep_key0 is the clear text passphrase, correct?  Not
>>one of the encrypted keys? right?
>

> The entry in the example file shows both hex and ascii keys.  No
> excryption of keys is supported by standard WEP so if your AP is doing
> something like that you need to get the hex key it's using from it.

If I attempt to use the hex key... it fails to parse the wpa_supplicant
file!?!  The AP is a linksys something-or-other... and when you type in
a cleartext passphrase it generates 4 hex keys.  I have tried both the
passphrase and the hex keys.

> Have you been able to connect by hand (not using wpa_supplicant)?  If
> not, do that first.

Yes... I can connect using the following script

ifconfig ath0 ssid office-g
ifconfig ath0 mode 11g channel 6
ifconfig ath0 wepmode on
ifconfig ath0 weptxkey 1 wepkey 0xD8<mykey>65E5A
ifconfig ath0 192.168.1.99
ifconfig ath0 netmask 255.255.255.0

rm /etc/resolv.conf
echo "nameserver 198.6.1.122" >> /etc/resolv.conf
echo "nameserver 198.6.1.142" >> /etc/resolv.conf
echo "nameserver 198.6.1.146" >> /etc/resolv.conf

route -q add default 192.168.1.1

--
Regards,
Eric