4.11 Release Qlogic Driver(isp)

Sean Bruno sbruno at miralink.com
Fri Sep 30 09:48:37 PDT 2005

I have been attempting to get the isp driver to function in target mode.
I see in the man page isp(4) that I can pass the option ISP_TARGET_MODE
during compile time of the kernel such that it will function as a target
mode driver.

However, I don't see any indication that the driver is acting in target
mode when I boot the system.

dmesg output for isp:

isp0: <Qlogic ISP 1020/1040 PCI SCSI Adapter> port 0xd800-0xd8ff mem
0xd7000000-0xd7000fff irq 11 at device 9.0 on pci0
isp0: Ultra Mode Capable
isp0: Board Type 1040B, Chip Revision 0x5, loaded F/W Revision 7.65.0
isp0: Last F/W revision was 4.53.0
isp0: 124 max I/O commands supported
isp0: Initiator ID is 7 on Channel 0
isp0: driver initiated bus reset of bus 0

The next to last line, "Initiator ID is 7 on Channel 0" should have a
reference to target mode...I think...

I have also added the following 2 entries to /boot/defaults/loader.conf:
isp_debug=7
isp_tdebug=5

In addition, I defined ISP_TARGET_MODE in my kernel configuration file
like so:

options         ISP_TARGET_MODE         #Support for Qlogic target mode.

This causes the contents of opt_isp.h in /usr/src/sys/compile/MYKERNEL/
to have the following entry:

#define ISP_TARGET_MODE 1

Which I believe to be correct.  opt_isp.h seems to only be included from
isp_freebsd.h in /usr/src/sys/dev/isp/

Finally, which is the really strange part, there seems to be no
difference in the size of the .o files with or without this define.  So
I am assuming that I am not compiling the target mode option correctly.

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Sean