(no subject)

Mikhail T. mi at aldan.algebra.com
Thu Sep 29 08:06:03 PDT 2005

After updating an old 5.4-BETA to 6.0-BETA5 today, I can not boot because,
of all things, of the pcm-driver. pcm0 is detected as before and then I
start getting
	AD_WAIT_INIT FAILED 201000 0xff
	AD_WAIT_INIT FAILED 1002000 0xff
	AD_WAIT_INIT FAILED 20300 0xff
	AD_WAIT_INIT FAILED 201000 0xff
	AD_WAIT_INIT FAILED 201000 0xff
	[...]

Intermixed with the occasional "mss calibration timed out(X)".

pcm is part of the kernel here. Disabling the sound card in
the BIOS lets me boot, but I certainly want the sound back :-)
The machine had 158 days of uptime and played music, whenever
I asked it to...

There is something in the cvs log for dev/sounds/isa/mss.c:

revision 1.100
date: 2005/09/11 13:59:02;  author: netchild;  state: Exp;  lines: +5 -1
Add some ad_wait_init() calls to fix some problems in some configs (e.g.
PC98, CS4231A, "pcm0: play interrupt timeout").

PR:             45682
Submitted by:   Watanabe Kazuhiro <CQG00620 at nifty.ne.jp>

But I'm not sure, if that affects me, because I'm on 6.x and that commit,
probably, was not MFC-ed yet...

	-mi