Problems with Acer Travelmate & PC-Card interface

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Sep 29 07:42:21 PDT 2005

In message: <CE3682EF98A64140B2BF376C39461E0A02F817 at krbdf7ma.ww011.siemens.net>
            "Rehsack Jens \(ext\)" <jens.rehsack.ext at siemensvdo.com> writes:
: From: M. Warner Losh [mailto:imp at bsdimp.com]
: Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 5:41 AM
:
: > In message:
: <CE3682EF98A64140B2BF376C39461E0A02F7EB at krbdf7ma.ww011.siemens.net>
: >             "Rehsack Jens \(ext\)" <jens.rehsack.ext at siemensvdo.com>
: writes:
: > : Ok - to the question. I've tried to get my W-Lan card running
: (ath(4)
: > : driver and ran successful in my old notebook), but it wont be
: > : recognized.
: >
: > Usually you just include 'cbb', 'pccard', 'cardbus' and 'ath' in the
: > kernel (and a few others for ath), and it works.
:
: I've cut out the relevant lines from my kernel configuration and attach
: them.
: I think, it's complete (for getting an ath(4) card via cardbus
: running)...

Not sure.  It looks like it should be good.

: > : Throwing a look into /etc/rc.d/pccard shows me, if no /dev/card0 is
: > : available, the pccardd and pccardc wont be started. And really -
: there
: > : is no /dev/card0.
: >
: > That's good.  There's no pccardd anymore.
:
: But a pccardc is there - and it's not started either.

pccardc and pccardd are still built, but aren't used (although pccard
dumpcisfile will be shortly).

: > You'll need to turn on pccard debugging.
:
: How do I do this? In the sys/conf/NOTES there is nothing to find 'bout
: pccard debugging, neither in pccard(4) nor in pccbb(4).

Should be added.

hw.pccard.cis_debug=1
hw.pccard.debug=1
hw.cbb.debug=1
hw.cardbus.cis_debug=1
hw.cardbus.debug=1

should do the trick.

: >  The bridge in your laptop is
: > known to the driver (which surprises me!), but looks like it might be
: > TI6411-class (which should be in the tables, I'll double check).
:
: I don't think so. It's detected as a generic cardbus (yenta compliant)
: chipset. But if you want me to test sth. out - feel free to contact me.

OK.  I'll investigate why it isn't picking things up.

Warner