Bsdtar and archive torture tests

Ed Maste emaste at phaedrus.sandvine.ca
Mon Sep 26 17:16:52 PDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 06:34:54PM -0400, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> What is your locale set to?
>
> POSIX pax interchange format, the default for bsdtar, requires file
> names in archives to be represented in UTF-8.  <C3><A0>, when
> interpreted as UTF-8, is the character U+00E0 (LATIN SMALL LETTER A
> WITH GRAVE ACCENT).

Hmm, good point.  I haven't set it to anything; locale(1) shows
that the LC_ variables are set to "C".  So then I can see how this
happens, but it's still surprising (to me) behaviour.

I guess that, with my locale set to "C", <C3><A0> does not represent
valid characters, and it's not possible to convert to UTF-8.  I wonder
if bsdtar should emit a warning or similar in this case?

--
Ed Maste, Sandvine Incorporated