tap devices and DHCP.

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Thu Sep 22 03:35:07 PDT 2005

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Marcin Jessa wrote:

> I do not know if it's meant to be that way but tap devices cannot get
> IPs assigned with DHCP. I did not check the old dhclient code but the
> new one cannot hand over DHCP requests to tap devices. I was sure a tap
> device acted as an ethernet device even though it's a virtual one, since
> one can manually assign IP to tap. It can however assign IP to a bridge
> (with DHCP) with dev tap as a member of it. Could someone explain me
> please if this behaviour is on purpose or just a problem with DHCP?

That's certainly undesirable.  Could you tell us a little bit about the
setup you're running?  Specifically, what's on the other end of the tap
device, and how does it hook up to the DHCP server?

Could you show the ifconfig output for the interface before and after
running dhclient?  And then again after manually assigning an address?

Thanks,

Robert N M Watson