UFS_EXTATTR(_AUTOSTART) broken on 6.0-BETA5

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Wed Sep 21 16:13:17 PDT 2005

So I tried to update my gateway at home to 6.0 tonight and got a panic while
trying to boot the new kernel:

[...]
ad0: 76351MB <SAMSUNG SV8004H QR100-12> at ata0-master UDMA100
acd0: DVDROM <Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-103S 0115/E1.15> at ata1-master
UDM
A33
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
panic: lockmgr: unknown locktype request 0
Uptime: 2s
Cannot dump. No dump device defined.
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
--> Press a key on the console to reboot,
--> or switch off the system now.

I traced it to to these options in my kernel configuration:

options         UFS_EXTATTR
options         UFS_EXTATTR_AUTOSTART

(these are required to make extended attributes and POSIX ACLs work on UFS1
filesystems).

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org