cpio and tar are loosing flags (and a panic message without trace)

Tim Kientzle kientzle at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 20 11:35:25 PDT 2005

Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :
> :I guess cpio and tar really should take care about flags. Am I wrong?
>
>     cpio won't do it, tar won't do it, dump only does whole partitions,
>     cpdup is not an archiver.  Hmm.

Actually:

   * Joerg Schilling's "star" has done this for many years.

   * bsdtar has likewise supported it for a long time (apart from recent
breakage <sigh>).

There's very little precedent for flags support in cpio format, though a
cpio that supported modern tar formats should be able to support it.

Pax should support it (though ours does not currently).

Tim