audio (acdt01) dump broken? (BETA4 (5))

Ben Kaduk minimarmot at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 18:21:13 PDT 2005

On 9/18/05, Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl at gmx.net> wrote:

> Am Montag, 19. September 2005 02:55 CEST schrieb Ben Kaduk:
> > On 9/18/05, Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl at gmx.net> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > tonight I wanted to consolidate (for an upcoming trekstor i.beat
> > > organix) my oggs and therefore eval the difference between reencoded
> > > ogg at 320vbr->ogg at 112 and the original reread wavs(tracks)->ogg at 112vbr.
> > > Unfortunately I couldn't grab my CDs anymore. I can remember I had
> > > used 'dd
> > > if=/dev/acd0txx of=/tmp/track.xx bs=2352' but this doesn't work
> > > anymore. I can't replay the bits and with oggenc I get:
> > > ERROR: Input file "track15.wav" is not a supported format
> > >
> > > _But_:
> > >
> > > cdda2wav -D2,0,0 -t 15 -Owav is working fine!
> [...]
> > Last time I was pulling stuff off a cd with dd, I used bs=64k (this was
> > yesterday), and it worked fine. Care to try and report back?
>
> Hmm, I never could manage to dump PCM without bs=2352, but I tried your
> suggestion, as expected, it failed while adjusted blocksize worked, but
> obviously with mesh, no PCM .wav! See here:
>
> cale:PUBLIC/Audio/Creedence Clearwater Revival/The Very Best Of... (CD1 -
> 2)#171: dd if=/dev/acd0t15 of=aufio.wav bs=64k
> dd: /dev/acd0t15: Invalid argument
> 0+0 records in
> 0+0 records out
> 0 bytes transferred in 0.000380 secs (0 bytes/sec)
> cale:PUBLIC/Audio/Creedence Clearwater Revival/The Very Best Of... (CD1 -
> 2)#172
> cale:PUBLIC/Audio/Creedence Clearwater Revival/The Very Best Of... (CD1 -
> 2)#172: dd if=/dev/acd0t15 of=aufio.wav bs=2352
> 16340+0 records in
> 16340+0 records out
> 38431680 bytes transferred in 29.363745 secs (1308814 bytes/sec)
> cale:PUBLIC/Audio/Creedence Clearwater Revival/The Very Best Of... (CD1 -
> 2)#173
> cale:PUBLIC/Audio/Creedence Clearwater Revival/The Very Best Of... (CD1 -
> 2)#174: oggenc aufio.wav
> ERROR: Input file "aufio.wav" is not a supported format
>
> Thanks for your attention,
>
> I don't think it's something user-world related...
>
> -Harry

[sorry if this double-sent; I'm running on a wireless network using ipsec
over udp, and apparently it's losing packets, since gmail was hanging. . .my
school's IT administration seems very silly at times]

Interesting -- I only have one other suggession; I was recently rereading
the handbook section on burning cd's, and it said that it was better to have
.pcm files which don't have the header that .wav files do -- apparently the
header produces a 'tick' on playback. Have you tried ripping to .pcm files?
Perhaps oggenc is looking for a nonexistent header.
I also checked the handbook for copying cd's -- you are correct that 2352 is
the "magic" blocksize -- I used 64k when ripping an entire (data) cd to copy
it.

Ben Kaduk