A question about Intel HyperThreading

Pascal Hofstee caelian at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 12:33:10 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 21:14 +0200, Roger O. Svenning wrote:

[snip]

> The nwserver service is not multithreaded and I'm guessing it's using
> only one of the logical cpus, but are there actually processing power
> sitting idle here or is it just a top-weirdness?
>
> Needless to say I want the nwserver process to be able to use all
> processing power available in the cpu.

I assume you checked for this already .. but just to be on the safe side
FreeBSD disables HTT on default because of the potential security issues
related to the technology. So unless you explicitely allow HTT FreeBSD
won't use the HTT-capabilities of the CPU. Can you make sure that HTT is
indeed allowed ?

sysctl machdep.hyperthreading_allowed

--
Pascal Hofstee <caelian at gmail.com>