restore on -CURRENT incompatible with 5.3 dump tapes

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Sep 11 21:08:04 PDT 2005

In message: <200509111157.48558.kent.hauser at verizon.net>
            Kent Hauser <kent.hauser at verizon.net> writes:
: Hi,
:
: I just found that my -CURRENT system won't read dump tapes from my 5.3 system.
:
: After reconfirming the tape was good on the 5.3 system, I copied "restore"
: from the 5.3 system, installed the compat5x port, and it read the tape fine.
:
: I'm not sure if "restore" or the tape driver changed. I *am* able to read dump
: tapes made by the -CURRENT system with the -CURRENT restore. The tape drive
: is a DAT72 SCSI drive with an adaptec 29160 interface card.

If restore from 5.3 reads it fine, then it isn't likely a tape driver
issue.  If you run restore -v, can you send me the output privately?
Thanks!

Warner