Default route doesn't change to wireless device (ath0)

Jon Dama jd at ugcs.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 8 16:45:43 PDT 2005

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> > > Got a new routing implemention handy?  Until then, well have to live
> > > with hacks. :(
> >
> > True enough.  I think the general idea is that you need a two layer
> > routing table.  One that keeps tract of what is possible, and one that
> > keeps track of what is happening w.r.t existing flows.  Once an interface
> > link goes down, the route in the second table invaliadates and you go back
> > to the first to find a new route.
>
> Isn't this what a routing daemon does, like routed?

No, a routing daemon such as routed discovers the information to put in
those tables.  In this case, the user + dhcp are fulfilling this task.  I
doubt that my wireless access point would participate in network RIP or
router discovery anyways.

We're only talking about relatively basic functionality here...