Default route doesn't change to wireless device (ath0)

Jon Dama jd at ugcs.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 8 14:45:45 PDT 2005

> Bringing an interface down then back up is usually one of the "try this
> first" operations when troubleshooting all platforms I normally work on,
> exactly because it _does_ (normally) clear a lot of state info that you
> don't want around to confuse you (like the ARP cache and routing table
> entries).

Yes but surely you'd recognize a difference between a link state change
and issuing ifconfig ... down

In the latter case, I expect state to be flushed.  In the former, I expect
everything to resume when the link is restored.  Imagine having to
manually reinit your interfaces just because some joker temporary
unplugged your ethernet cable!