[PATCH] boot loader fixes #2
jkim at FreeBSD.org
Thu Sep 8 12:21:30 PDT 2005
This is the second iteration of the previous patch.
This one removes the redundant bound checks that I added, and fixes a
new parsing bug that I introduced (blush, blush...).
New things in this version:
7. Do not modify boot device until everything's good. Previously any
failed attempt could modify default device.
8. Print 'FreeBSD/amd64 boot' banner on amd64 instead of
'FreeBSD/i386 boot'. It was confusing many users who have multiple
drives and/or slices for a while now. Also print slice information.
9. Remove 'compatibility slice', which has been broken for more than
two years but I haven't seen a single complaint. ;-) This function
can be revived by defining BOOT2_COMPAT_SLICE. In that case,
supposedly it does the correct things now (not tested).
10. Slice 4 is allowed to boot again.
Both 10 and 11 were broken from Rev 1.58.
11. Add '\n' before error messages.
Unfortunately, the patch virtually exhausts all the space left for
Please test and let me know,
* Note: Bigger boot block is required for more fixes.
In fact, keyboard probing is quite broken on many BIOSes.
If I had more space, I could do the correct thing in C. :-(
* Note: '-S' or '-S0' option is only good for the BIOS which
initializes serial port correctly. Your mileage may vary.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 11826 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/attachments/20050908/00995095/boot2-0001.bin
More information about the freebsd-current