libmap.conf firefox flash

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Wed Sep 7 23:06:29 PDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 09:49:10PM -0800, Beecher Rintoul wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 September 2005 08:43 pm, Stefan 'Steve' Tell wrote:
> > * Massimo Introvigne <massimo.introvigne at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Does anyone have a /etc/libmap.conf that will allow flash +
> > > linuxpluginwrapper + firefox and FreeBSD 6.0 to work correctly?
> >
> > This works for me:
> >
> > ,----[ /etc/libmap.conf ]
> >
> > | [/usr/X11R6/lib/linux-flashplugin6/libflashplayer.so]
> > | libpthread.so.0                 pluginwrapper/flash6.so
> > | libdl.so.2                      pluginwrapper/flash6.so
> > | libz.so.1                       libz.so.2
> > | libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3        libstdc++.so.4
> > | libm.so.6                       libm.so.3
> > | libc.so.6                       pluginwrapper/flash6.so
> >

> I'm also trying to get flash to work with firefox. flashpluginwrapper and
> linux-flashplugin-7 installed. I tried the above libmap.conf and still
> nothing. Can someone walk me through this? I must be missing something.
>
> Thanks,

For multimedia, I have done the following and it works with no user
intervention.

Install native firefox.
Install linuxpluginwrapper (not flashpluginwrapper).

It will install acroread7, realplayer and flash6 if not installed.

On 6.x and above, copy
/usr/local/share/examples/linuxpluginwrapper/libmap.conf-FreeBSD5-current
to /etc/libmap.conf

I also install mplayer and mplayer-plugin.

A few flash heavy sites will freeze firefox, such as tvguide.com if you
go the listings and click on a listing.

For those I use linux-firefox.  I actually install it from source rather
than ports, and leave it in my $HOME directory.

With this, firefox will work with flash (6 however, not 7) realplayer,
mplayer (for avis, most windows media player files) and the like.

I believe mplayer also works with most quicktime stuff though you might
have to install another program (I've forgotten how I did it, and a
quick search of /var/db/pkg isn't giving me the answer, but I remember
it was relatively trivial, the first or second hit on google.)

This has worked consistantly for me since 5.x

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Anya: What a day. Gimme a beer.
Bartender: (deadpan) ID.
(Anya glares at him.)
Bartender: (deadpan) ID.
Anya: I'm eleven hundred and twenty years old! Just gimme a
frickin' beer!
Bartender: (deadpan) ID.
Anya: (sigh) Gimme a Coke.