Installation error Intel mobile ICH6M SATA controller.

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Sep 2 14:56:40 PDT 2005

> Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 14:32:13 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Dean Patterson <psamuel01 at yahoo.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current at freebsd.org
>
> PLEASE save me from LINUX!!  I can install FBSD on a
> Dell D610 laptop just fine, but when I reboot it does
> not recognize the drive/controller.  When I install
> the boot loader I am presented with the F1 option and
> when pressed I get "invalid slice."  When I install a
> standard MBR I get "invalid partition table."  Any
> fixes or patches?  I enjoy Gentoo, but I REALLY MISS
> FREEBSD!!

A little more information, please.

What version of FreeBSD are you attempting to install?
Which install did you do?
How did you slice the disk?
How did you partition the slice?

If you boot the install floppy, can you start the holographic shell and
do an "fdisk ad0"? "bsdlabel ad0s1"? I suspect something went awry in
the configuration process.

The exact details of how to do the above depends on just what version
you were installing, but I'm assuming it was V6Beta? or you would have
sent your message to questions@ and not to current at .
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)